Belmar Office Conveniently Located At
1800 Main St., Belmar, NJ 07719
Over 200 Years of Combined Experience
Attorney Who Has Served As A Prosecutor in Belmar
Belmar NJ Criminal Defense
& DWI Attorneys
FOR A FREE CONSULTATION
Belmar Fake ID Lawyer
Charged With Possession of a Fake ID in Belmar New Jersey
If you were charged with possession or use of false identification (a.k.a. Fake ID) such as a driver’s license in Belmar, the lawyers at our firm have the experience and skill to ensure you avoid a conviction. Our attorneys have successfully represented hundreds of individuals arrested while attempting to purchase alcohol or enter popular bars like the Boathouse, D’Jais, Bar Anticipation and 9th Avenue Pier over the last several decades. The qualifications and accomplishments of our defense team in defending individuals just like you are certainly remarkable in terms of not only Monmouth County law firms but also those in the entire state. We possess rare credentials that include:
- A team of ten (10) attorneys whose practice is dedicated exclusively to representation of individual facing criminal and other offenses
- Over 200 years of combined experience defending fake ID, disorderly conduct, obstructing the administration of law, trespass and similar charges in Belmar Municipal Court
- Several former Monmouth County municipal prosecutors, including one who has presided over cases in Belmar and Lake Como Municipal Court prior to its dissolution
- Former Monmouth County Prosecutors, including the Former Director of Major Crimes, the Juvenile Division and the entire Trial Division
- Members that are certified criminal trial attorneys, a distinction held by less than 2% of those licensed in the state
- A long history of acquittals in representing clients charged with possession or use of a counterfeit driver’s license or other form of fake Id.
Don’t strap yourself with a potentially permanent criminal record by underestimating the severity of a Belmar fake Id charge. Our defense lawyers can help you escape a conviction and the penalties that apply under N.J.S.A. 2C:33-15. Contact our Belmar Office at (732) 681-0080 for a free consultation with a lawyer at our firm anytime 24/7.
Belmar Fake ID Offense For Using or Possessing a Forged or Counterfeit Driver’s Licenses, Passports & Other Identification
There is potential for serious consequence if you are found guilty of possession or use of a false identification is two-fold. The first way you can run into trouble is If you make or tamper with a public record such as a driver’s license or passport, and are found in possession or attempt to use the item. When this happens, N.J.S.A. 2C:28-7, titled “tampering with public records or information”, comes into play. This statute makes it a crime to:
(1) Knowingly makes a false entry in, or false alteration of, any record, document or thing belonging to, or received or kept by, the government for information or record, or required by law to be kept by others for information of the government;
(2) Makes, presents, offers for filing, or uses any record, document or thing knowing it to be false, and with purpose that it be taken as a genuine part of information or records referred to in paragraph (1); or
(3) Purposely and unlawfully destroys, conceals, removes, mutilates, or otherwise impairs the verity or availability of any such record, document or thing.
A violation of this law is a third degree crime, a felony, except where no one is defrauded or injured, in which case it is a disorderly persons offense.
Belmar False ID Charge Involving Use Of The Driver’s License or Identification of Another
The second way an individual can commit a criminal offense involving false identification is to get caught possessing or using the driver’s license or ID of someone else. This violation is based on N.J.S.A. 2C:28-7 (“Use of personal identifying information of another”). This NJ Law provides that:
a. A person is guilty of a crime of the second degree if, in obtaining or attempting to obtain a driver’s license, birth certificate or other document issued by a governmental agency which could be used as a means of verifying a person’s identity, age or any other personal identifying information, that person knowingly exhibits, displays or utters a document or other writing which falsely purports to be a driver’s license, birth certificate or other document issued by a governmental agency or which belongs or pertains to a person other than the person who possesses the document.
. . . . . .
c. A violation of N.J.S.2C:28-7, constituting a disorderly persons offense, section 1 of P.L.1979, c.264 (C.2C:33-15), R.S.33:1-81 or section 6 of P.L.1968, c.313 (C.33:1-81.7) in a case where the person uses the personal identifying information of another to illegally purchase an alcoholic beverage or for using the personal identifying information of another to misrepresent his age for the purpose of obtaining tobacco or other consumer product denied to persons under 18 years of age shall not constitute an offense under this section if the actor received only that benefit or service and did not perpetrate or attempt to perpetrate any additional injury or fraud on another.
Although impersonating another person is a second degree crime under 2C:21-17.2, the law carves out an exception when the identification is being used to illegally purchase alcoholic beverages or tobacco by someone under the legal age to do so. The charge is a disorderly persons offense when this exception applies, such as where someone under twenty-one (21) uses a fake ID to gain access to a local bar or club in Belmar.
Penalties for Belmar Fake ID Charges
The Belmar Municipal Court has limited jurisdiction to preside over criminal cases involving disorderly persons offenses. You face a fine of up to $1,000 and incarceration at the Monmouth County Correctional Institute for up to 6 months if you are convicted of violating either N.J.S.A. 2C:28-7 or N.J.S.A. 2C:21-17.2 for possessing or using a fake Id. There is also a significant collateral consequence of pleading or being found guilty, namely, a criminal record that will create a blemish that can negatively impact your ability to secure employment, a professional license or even maintain legal immigration status in the United States.
Fake ID Offense in Belmar NJ
As you can see, you will have a record if you are convicted of this offense in Belmar. This can cause serious issues in obtaining employment or otherwise passing a background check. It is clearly very important that you obtain proper representation if you are facing this charge as you have your entire life ahead of you. Our Belmar Office can assist you in averting any record and this is a benefit that you cannot afford to lose. So call one of our fake ID defense lawyers now for a free consultation.
Related Belmar Legal Resource Pages & Posts
Contact an Attorney and Request a Free Consultation